Friday 27 April 2012

Depression awareness week #3


“We think you have depression, what do you think about that?”

Upon hearing that statement, my head started racing with thoughts.

I am just weak. I shouldn’t be depressed, I have a fortunate life. I can’t letanyone know. I am a freak. Great, I’m mental. I know they are right. Does thismean they can help me? I have to pretend I am okay. I am pathetic. It’s just anexcuse for being weak.

I was ashamed, I did not want anyone to know and I didn’t think I deserved any help. I rejected all offers of help from professionals and kept all of the thoughts to myself. They just escalated. This escalation continued until finally, I accepted the help.

Depression is an illness that will affect 1 in 5 people so, why did I, and many other people, feel it was something that needed to be hidden? Something that shouldn't be spoken about?

What I want to say is, if you think you may have depression or if you do, don’t be ashamed. It is an illness, an illness that deserves treatment. No one deserves to suffer alone.

When I was struggling, and wouldn’t access any help a friend sat me down. She was honest with me and, despite my objection; she took me to speak to the school nurse. At the time it was safe to say that I was less than pleased but, looking back now I see how vital that event was. If she had not taken the time to talk to me, the time to care, then I don’t know if I would be the person I am today. If she had not had the courage to be open about her own issues I wouldn't have been able to be myself. I will be forever grateful to that person and I now I want to be able to be that person to others. To show others that they are not alone and to encourage them to seek help.

If you are struggling, don’t suffer alone. Talk to someone, you deserve the help.

And, if you know someone who is suffering from depression, the greatest thing you can do, in my opinion, is just to be there for them as you've always been. Don't be judgmental. Depression is just am illness and underneath it they are still the person the always have been.

All the best,
M xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You